Doctors may recommend many laboratory tests to get a better idea of and to make sure of your diagnosis.

If you are employed:

  1. Use your company health card and/or PhilHealth. Make sure to ask your company about this, to confirm that they have been paying enough premiums for you to be eligible for free services. Make sure to ask the PhilHealth officer about Z-benefits, which cover leukemia, breast cancer, prostate cancer, cervical cancer, colon and rectum cancer.

If you are indigent:

  1. Approach DSWD for indigent PhilHealth membership.
  2. You can also approach your local government – the municipality or city hall, to ask for financial assistance from discretionary funds of the government and of specific officials.

For very rare tests:

  1. If the test you need is not available at all in the Philippines (which can happen especially for rare diseases), search for international organizations that serve the specific disease you are suspected to have. Write to these organizations for help in connecting with laboratories abroad and for finding the financial means to have tests done there.


For very rare cancers in which confirmation can only be obtained from lab tests done abroad: Seek aid for diagnostic confirmation from international orgs if not available in Philippines (also see for treatment)


If you are employed, try to use health card/PHIC. If you are indigent, you may also approach DSWD for indigent PHIC. You may also go to City Hall of Municipality to ask for politicians or councilors who give financial assistance


Photo by Drew Hays on Unsplash