While the day-to-day may not cost as much as big interventions, long-term upkeep can take a toll on one’s resources. Here are some programs you or your loved one can apply to help as you or your loved ones recover and continue to live their fullest life.

Nonmedical costs:

To help with other costs, consider applying for a PWD ID. Under old rules, chronic illness is included among the disabilities included. Ask your doctor for more advice on this.

To apply for a PWD ID, prepare the follow documents:

  • Filled out application form
    • Application form available at:
      • Office of the Barangay Captain
      • Office of the Mayor
      • National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA) or its regional counterpart
      • DSWD Offices
      • Participating organizations with memorandum of agreements with the Department of Health
  • 1×1 photo (4 pcs)
  • Medical certificate and medical abstract


SSS also offers a sickness benefit (daily cash allowance paid for the number of days a member is unable to work due to sickness or injury) and disability benefit.

Sickness benefit is applicable if unable to work for at least 4 days, among other conditions. These are having paid 3 months of contributions within the year immediately before illness, having used up all company sick leaves with pay, and having notified the ER or SSS of his or her injury.

The amount of sickness benefit per day is equivalent to ninety percent (90%) of the member’s average daily salary credit (ADSC).

A member can be granted sickness benefit for a maximum of 120 days in one (1) calendar year.

Procedure and documents required for SSS benefits listed in the guide linked here.


Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels